mardi 9 juin 2009

WAVVES

First off, let me go ahead and say that I think Wavves pretty much suck. All the reviews I'd come across before actually hearing the music made me really excited, and I guess that's the nature of the beast that is hype. "Roach encrusted pop-punk," "noise pop," etc. Generally speaking, those descriptions could be applied to a lot of the music I listen to (but by no means all of it). I felt like this could be the next album that would see a fair amount of playtime in my car, i-pod, whatever.

Upon my first opportunity to actually give Wavves a listen, I wasn't immediately put-off or disappointed. There were some things that the album definitely had going for it, a few strong hooks here and there and an attitude that seemed to say that Nathan Williams was writing from a similar mindset to my own. Lo-fi production, so much volume that the needles "pin" in the studio, creating a pretty nasty, distorted sound. But closer inspection revealed that the songs were mostly just drivel and not the diamond in the rough material I'd thought I was going to find.

The final straw came when I read this: http://pitchfork.com/news/35459-wavves-self-destruct-in-barcelona/

Wavves soon after cancelled their European tour and Nathan Williams issued an online apology. But don't apologize, Nathan. Just step aside and make way for some band that's more worth my time and more worth the space dedicated to your band on Pitchfork.

When your album really isn't that good and when you don't really have the talent to put on a great live show, but you're still getting Strokes-like hype pushing you all over the world, and you act like that big of a dick due to drugs, alcohol or whatever, it's a supreme indicator that you need to keep your bedroom songs about "weed demons" and "beach goths" and lyrics like "I'm so bored" in the bedroom. Leave the world tours to bands that can actually play and are actually grateful for the opportunity to travel and make a living doing what they love. Fuck you Wavves. I guess I can exclude the drummer from all of this; He seems to be in earnest and actually tries to play/perform/give people their money's worth.

This rant is pretty much off the top of my head and not really altogether competent or fleshed out, but to conclude, I urge anyone who reads this to refrain from purchasing the Wavves album. Don't encourage Nathan Williams and his weak songs or his weak fucking haircut.



burntpandafur

2 commentaires: